Saturday, June 14, 2014

New Digs

It's been a while since I posted last, but not for the usual reason! Going a few months without posting isn't unusual for me (since nobody reads my posts anyway), but normally it's because I'm just too lazy to write anything. And Facebook just makes it so darn EASY to post pictures!

But this time, I have a great, legitimate excuse, that has nothing to do with my laziness.

I officially moved my cake business from my home to the grocery store bakery where I was (and am) the head baker. And let me tell you, there has been QUITE the learning curve. You wouldn't think such a small move would throw a baker off her game, but let me tell you, it does!

Among other things, I've had to adjust for:

*Using an industrial microwave instead of my Wal-Mart special. Learned that by overheating my first batch of homemade fondant after the move. Although it was an issue I didn't realize was at play until I found myself trying to smooth fondant the consistency of play-dough over a cake.

*Sharing my space with co-workers who are also doing a job - running the deli. Guess how fun it is to decorate cakes while there is raw chicken on EVERY surface? (Okay, I'm exaggerating, but my OCD doesn't like raw meat and chicken in the same vicinity as my cakes. Or food of any kind for that matter.)

*Running a business. I was 'kinda' doing a good job before, but now that I'm in a 'real' bakery, in a 'real' business, there's no more monkeying around with things like "Oh, you don't have to pay a deposit, I trust you!" I'm not used to being a serious business person - contracts, deposits, consultations - it all feels way more grown up than I'm qualified for. Like cancelling orders on clients who don't pay their deposits on time...oh my heck, that crap SUCKS. But...with all these SERIOUS BUSINESS PERSON things, I don't put myself in sticky situations anymore. (Sticky situations, IE, the time my "friend" stiffed me on a $25 custom cupcake order, because he's a cheap a-hole). Maybe it's the idea of the owner shutting me down, but I don't mess around anymore, despite my natural tendency to be a non-confrontational, wishy-washy pants in regards to payments, etc.

*Being on someone else's dime! I've never been so conscious of how many hours I'm putting into a cake! At home I let my OCD run the show (and frequently spent 8 hours on cakes, thus making approx. .47 cents an hour. I exaggerate. But seriously.) I'm having a tough time learning when enough is enough, despite what my perfectionism may be screaming at me.

*Remembering my camera. At home, I have lots of cameras laying around. At the bakery, not so much. The phrases I utter the most lately: "Where the hell is my camera??!!" and "Does anyone have an iPhone I can borrow?"

Anyhoo....

It's been a good move. Hopefully I'll get back on my game soon. (Seriously, how long is this going to take??)

So here's the first cake I sent out of the new digs:


No comments:

Post a Comment