And just for you Madeleine, here's the recipe:
Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup apple butter
- 3/4 cup half-half
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- a pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Prepare or thaw a 9-inch pie crust and set aside (Taste of Home says that Marie Callender's Deep Dish Pie Shells are the best)
- Whisk eggs until yolk and whites are combined. Add pumpkin, apple butter, half-half, sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg and combine well.
- Pour into pie shell and place in oven. After 10 minutes reduce heat to 350°
- Bake until center of pie no longer trembles and has set, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven. Allow to sit for 30 minutes at room temperature and then transfer to refrigerator.
Okay, okay, you caught me! I'm not actually that Betty Crocker-esque. I just never remember to buy cool-whip...but I always have whipping cream in the fridge.