Monday, September 24, 2012

Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie

I ♥ pie. If I had to choose between cake and pie for my own special occasion, I would choose pie. Mmmm. So prepare yourself for a series of pies. What can I say? Cake orders have been slow, and I do ♥ pie so very much.


And just for you Madeleine, here's the recipe:

 Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients: 

  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 1 cup apple butter
  • 3/4 cup half-half
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. ginger
  • a pinch of nutmeg
Directions: 

  1. Preheat oven to 400°
  2. Prepare or thaw a 9-inch pie crust and set aside (Taste of Home says that Marie Callender's Deep Dish Pie Shells are the best)
  3. Whisk eggs until yolk and whites are combined. Add pumpkin, apple butter, half-half, sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg and combine well. 
  4. Pour into pie shell and place in oven. After 10 minutes reduce heat to 350°
  5. Bake until center of pie no longer trembles and has set, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven. Allow to sit for 30 minutes at room temperature and then transfer to refrigerator.
I also buy a small container of whipping cream, toss it in the KitchenAid with the whisk, and add fresh whipped cream to the top.

Okay, okay, you caught me! I'm not actually that Betty Crocker-esque. I just never remember to buy cool-whip...but I always have whipping cream in the fridge.  









No comments:

Post a Comment